 General / 17546
Re: Famous LEGO Collectors..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 14:58:53 GMT

Richard Franks <spontificus@yahoo.com> wrote in article
<FtH3Ds.4qx@lugnet.com>...

Just heard part of a radio interview (Radio 1, UK) interview with • 'Hanson' -
annoying Aussie kid-band... "Mmm-bop" etc?

If you mean the brother band who did MMMBop, then don't blame the Aussie's.
Those fellas are 100% pure Americana, hailing from the great state of
Oklahoma.  :)

Interviewer: "..and one of my favourite rumours about you is that you all • have
     a big tub of LEGO that you play with.. hahaha"
Annoying Kid from Hanson: "um.. that one is actually true - we collect • LEGO"

Kinda reminds me of the recent article stating that LEGO is possibly • going to
become a 'Generation X' collectible.

This is actually a fear of mine; that LEGO becomes more collectible than
fun.  I sure had a lot more fun with my Star Wars figures and baseball
cards as a kid then I do now that they're 'worth' something.  Same goes for
my old LEGO.  I don't mind now and then getting out and putting some of the
sets together, but I'm not sure I'll turn them over to my kids until
they're at least old enough to drive.  :)  This of course, makes me a
hypocrite in some respects, because I am putting artificial values on
things and I don't appreciate others doing the same thing.

So to resolve this problem I did two things.  First, I put away my entire
childhood collection (which as an adult didn't seem quite as large as it
did 20 years ago).  Then I bought an entirely new collection.  Starting
about 1 1/2 years ago and building it from the ground up, I now have what I
feel is a reasonable collection that I can use, enjoy and eventually share
with my kids.  This collection is just large enough I can complete some
projects I never could do as a kid, and certainly large enough for any kid
to enjoy for years.  It's neither insanely huge, nor is it a few loose
pieces in an old shoebox. If LEGO never made another brick starting today,
I'm still happy with what I have.  Of course, you can never have
enough........  :)

We're not as weird and outcasty as we once
were - *sigh* :)

I always figured the people who couldn't enjoy something as simple as their
favorite childhood toy were the weird outcasts.  :)

Regards,
Allan
--
Expert Builder Website - The Megaproject Showcase
http://www.execulink.com/~apotome/expert.htm