 General / 17345
Re: Estimating Piece Count
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 15:10:39 GMT

In article <Fswwy9.ME7@lugnet.com>,
Mitch Hiveley <mitchandkristina@mediaone.net> wrote:
Has anyone ever done any research on estimating piece count?  Specifically,
I'm curious about two techniques in particular: by weight and by minifig.

A bit. I found that it's tough to do.

Understanding that bulk buckets and tubs may skew either method, is there an
average number of "pieces per pound" or "pieces per minifig" given a random
collection of sets pooled together?  For example, if I knew I had a pile of
parts weighing ten lbs., would others be able to approximate the piece count?
What if I knew that a different pile contained 100 minifigs?  Could I
approximate the piece count of that pile?

I hadn't thought of "by minifig".

I suspect that bulk buckets might not cause that much of an issue by
pound, but any guesstimate by pound breaks if you're trying to estimate
a pile of Lego that has production dates spanning many years. I was trying
to guesstimate the piece count of my collection-- I knew the counts
of pieces from all the sets I've bout in the past five years and have
an inventory of which ones they are, but I don't have anything previus
to that. Guessing how much volume the collection has gained, I figured
I could get a reasonable piece count.

Until I realized: New pieces are bigger. Sure, a 1x2 is the same size. But
my old collection has no BURPS, or 5x2 columns, or 5xN slopes, or Arctic
wall pieces, or...

Minifig count has, on the other hand, dropped in recent years. Used to be
a castle would come with a good dozen minifigs. 6090 had what, five?

So yeah, after doing some looking into it, I find that the answer is that
there's only three ways to generate a decent piece count of a pile of
Lego:

a) Know what sets it came from, and hope you didn't lose any.
b) Count 'em,
or c) WAG and call it close enough.

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu                            ( <