 General / 16803
Re: Removing glue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:10:27 GMT

Tony Kilaras wrote in message ...
I've recently acquired a couple of sets that are completely glued together.
Can anyone suggest anything to remove the glue so that I can take the sets
apart? I realize that the pieces are already slightly deformed because of • the
glue melting them together, but I really would like to break the sets
apart.

I forget if any of the folks who've worked in the model shops have mentioned
details of what glue they use. If the glue used is a solvent type, you're
SOL. Styrene solvent glue joints can wind up being stronger than the
surrounding plastic. What you end up with is really essentially a single
piece of plastic.

About the only glue which you would be able to have much luck at all in
disassembly would be if white glue (like Elmers) was used.

You best bet may be to use a fine saw and cut the pieces you want to rescue,
but chances are you will wind up with nothing useful.

Frank