 General / 16744
Re: Minifig What scale are they??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.general, lugnet.trains, lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:50:25 GMT

Mike Poindexter wrote:

Richard Schamus <legoman34@mindspring.com> wrote in message
I've just come to the same conclusion. (warning: blasphamess statements
follow.) Lego Train, will never to scale. Not now, not ever. Not 6 wide, • not 8
wide. 8 wide would probably be closer, but not quite make it.

I disagree with you.  They can be to scale, just not with minifigs in them.
Pick a scale and then calculate how many studs/bricks/plates everything
would be.  Sure, you will have some rounding errors and some things will not
be perfect, but you will be in a certain scale, with some loose tolerances
for rounding error.

People who think that scale means perfectly to scale are confusing the term.
There is a scale that is adhered to as close as possible.  Some times, it
will be off.  Take the best scaled train set and get a micrometer.  I bet
you can find a lot of things that are off by a little bit.  Ours can be just
like them, except that they will be off by a lot more.

Mike Poindexter

The classic LEGO scale (1 door = 3 bricks high) used by LEGO from 1955-1972 is
in almost perfect HO train scale.

Gary Istok