 General / 16743
Re: lego in the toy hall of fame
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:47:48 GMT

Paul Baulch wrote:

Jennifer L. Boger wrote in message ...
I looked around to see if anyone had posted about this yet, but it seems • that in
1998 Lego was inducted into the Toy Hall of Fame....

http://www.acgilbert.org/fame/lego.html

One thing that the article mentions is:

"The brick with eight cylinders in the underside was introduced in 1958."

When did they phase the old 3x5 and 2x9 bricks out? I've been wanting them
for years!
;-)

Paul
LUGNET member 164

For the record, 1958 was the year that the "binding brick" was first sold to
the public (at that time LEGO was only sold in continental non-communist
Europe), that was when they added tubes on the bottoms.  The only bricks made
in '58 were 1x1, 1x1 round, 1x2, 2x2, 2x2 quarter circle, 2x3, 2x4, 2x8, 2x10,
and 4x4 corners. The regular sloped bricks also first appeared in 1958, in red
only (blue came in 1960).  And plates were available only in white, and only
in sizes 2x8, 4x8, 6x8 and 4x8 curved.

I bet what the Toy Hall of Fame actually meant (or should have meant) was that
the bricks with 8 studs on top started having tubes on the bottom.

Gary Istok