 General / 1669
Re: About that FAQ ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 20:09:34 GMT

Nephilim <jthompson@teubner.com> writes:

[...]
There's a possible answer, though.  Create a new LUGNet
LEGO FAQ, using no material from Tom's r.t.l FAQ.  Another
possible answer is just to dive in and modify the r.t.l FAQ,
send the revisions to Tom Pfeifer, and see what happens.
That feels too much like a coup attempt, though.

I'd still love to donate my time to such a project, and I
see now that Jim is also interested.  Perhaps collaboration
is in order?  I'll cc this exchange to Tom and see if his
opinion on the matter has shifted in the intervening
months.

Say, Jeff, what do you think about a special multi-FAQ where questions (and
their answers) could appear in multiple newsgroups?  That is, what if you
were to restructure the "main" FAQ something like this?--

   Main FAQ file =
      Header
      List of questions/answer pairs
      Trailer

   Question/Answer pair =
      List of newgroups this Q/A pair appears in
      Question
      Answer

That is, a new main FAQ file could have a zillion Q/A pairs, each of which
could appear (or not appear) in any newsgroup.  So each newsgroup could have
a slightly different FAQ specially tailored to it, but questions appearing
in two newsgroups would have a single maintenance location.

The list of newsgroups could be as simple as a comma-separated list with
wildcard characters, and the processing script which would break the main
FAQ up into little FAQs and post them could be designed, written, run, and
maintained by anyone with a shell account and an NNTP client capable of
posting from the command line.

The script would need to automatically number the questions and build an
index at the top.  But that's pretty easy...  :)  As far as the format of
the raw main FAQ, it could be regular ASCII with special markup characters
in column 1 or it could be XML or just about anything that someone was
willing to process by a script.

--Todd