 General / 16009
16008  |  16010
Subject:
Set 4229 - Extra Bricks pack
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 01:42:38 GMT

I was building various things with my (once again) growing Lego collection,
and I noticed something that many other builders had complained about - the
relative lack of basic 2xN and 1xN bricks in a collection consisting mainly
of System and Technic sets. It was seriously hampering my building.
I was wandering through the local department store when I saw something I
hadn't noticed before: set #4229. it contains an assortment of 1xN and 2xN
bricks in a variety of colours including green. As I have a preference for
1xNs over 2xNs (I'm a minifig-scale builder, mainly), this set caught my
eye. They were on discount, so I immediately bought a couple.
This set improved the situation no end! It has proved to be a fantastic
complement to my collection of System sets, for building purposes.

With the way that people have been talking about their collections, and a
quick search on LUGNET newsgroups for "4229", I began to speculate that it
wasn't actually available in the U.S.  Is this true?
The search didn't seem to uncover any posts that actually said so (Pause
didn't either), although a few UK posts _did_ say that 4229 was poor value
for money compared to a semi-mythical brick pack apparently numbered
"1857"[1]..... is 4229, then, available in the U.S. but not good enough
value for parting out? It seems like a fantastic parting-out brick pack to
me[2][3].

Paul
LUGNET member 164

[1]Does anyone in the U.K. have a picture of 1857 for reference? And to
prove that it exists.... ;-)
[2] Hmmm, it does have a few too many 1x2s and 2x2s.... does anybody really
use them in that proportion?
[3] Oh, and no grey bricks :-(