 General / 15854
  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

I wish Lego would stop blaming the stuff stated here for their loss... Last week, Lego chief executive Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen -- grandson of the company's founder -- said 1999 ``began in insecurity and nervousness but ended with progress and belief (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

(...) and note also this quote from the aforementioned article: (...) A 300 percent increase is not inconsequential. If that single fact is true, we adult fans of lego ARE the lego market!!! I want to know that this increase in sales is going to (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

(...) ^^^...^^^ ^^^...^^^ ^^^...^^^ (...) Note the sub-market. --Todd (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

(...) But KKK credits TLC's amazing turn-around in 1999 to Mindstorms and Star Wars. Adults being responsible for 3/4 of the purchases in one of the two wunderkind lines is definitely worth noting. And I'm willing to bet that adults make up a larger (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

(...) I'm with Steve on this one. What difference is it that its a sub-market when its one of the more successful ones? And I don't care who says different, AFOL hold the purse strings too! The buck "starts" here... Is dogfood marketed to dogs or to (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

Hey Richard, I think Todd only tried to point out that the 300 percent increase was not affecting the whole company, only the Mindstorms-sub-market. This simply means that adults had a large influence on these products, not on all sets. But as a (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Silicon Valley techies taken with kids' toy

(...) Or maybe what LEGO doesn't realize is that whatever normal theme sales are, AFOL's are a more significant percentage of it than they assume... (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)