 General / 14030
14029  |  14031
Subject:
Some Lego cleaning experiments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 21:26:20 GMT

A few weeks ago a family member sent me a big box of old legos that I
had played with as a kid (we're talking 26 yr old lego - boy guess that
dates me doesn't it). I was so excited to see those blue rails, red
lattice fences and neat old windows. I was also pretty dismayed by how
dirty all of the lego was (didn't I ever wash my hands before playing
with my lego as a kid? - probably not :)

At any rate, I decided to try some cleaning experiments on a few old
white pieces and thought I'd share the results with you. All the pieces
were washed with a mild detergent and air dried before I did anything
else.

Buff that yellow patina off with Brasso - definitely did not work though
it did get out a lot of the nicks, scratches and yes, toothmarks  :)

Get that yellow patina off with toothpaste (not the gel kind) -
definitely did not work, but it did give the pieces a very nice shine
and minty smell.

Bleach that patina out with bleach - nope, did not work. But I do have a
interesting polka dot pattern of splash marks on my jeans where I
accidently got bleach on them.

Sterilize the patina off with H2O2 - nope, did not work. But you could
probably eat off this batch of lego.

Polydent the patina off - definitely did not work. It ate the outer
layer off the lego. Yikes!

Salad vinegar the patina off - ok, so I admit this was the result of an
accidental spill. Still didn't work.

Well, those are my results so far. Anyone else try any other cleaning
experiments?

Jackie