 General / 14037
14036  |  14038
Subject:
Customizing Subgroup (was Re: Some Lego cleaning experiments)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 00:58:46 GMT

A 1/4 part bleach to 3/4 parts water -- or some other milder conconction of
bleach to water -- used on white, grey, or clear bricks and left to soak for 1-
2 weeks will absolutely work.  I have done it, I know it for a fact that it
works.  The result is old, yet very clean, bricks. I don't know what happens
to other colors. Discoloration on other colors is not as obvious, I guess.

Actual dirt may be cleaned off with a good soak in "simple green" mixed with
water, and then brushed off with a soft toothbrush if need be, or merely
rinsed off after some marginal scrubbing with a sponge -- and not the side
with the scrub pad, just the plain old sponge part.  Most people don't realize
that the scrubbing pad side of a sponge is abrasive enough to polish metal --
and indeed it is used for this purpose in jewelry making and sculpture.

Brasso is the stuff for nicks, scratches and removing printing, not whitening.

I am beginning to think that this question, and other modification questions,
come up so frequently that there REALLY ought to be a FAQ posted here on
Lugnet somewhere.  And there really should be a customizing subgroup too.
Some of these methods of cleaning and so forth might be considered radical
enough as to constitute a modification of the element in question.

-- Richard