 General / 13442
13441  |  13443
Subject:
Betta Bilda, (was Re: Brick.tube evolution?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:11:07 GMT

Jon D Hayward wrote in message ...
Gary Istok <gistok@umich.edu> wrote in message

<snip>

I recently purchased a 1957 version of set #700 (with contents), the • earliest of
the Town Plan sets.  Here are some observations on some of the pieces • that
it has:

<more snip>

The 2x8, 4x8, 6x8, and 4x8 (curved) white plates (only color available • until the
mid-1960's) all have the square holed bottoms, and no LEGO written on the
studs.

Now you've got me thinking! Here in the UK, Airfix produced a LEGO-like
range through the 1960s called Betta Bilda, and the plates are exactly as
you describe them here! I thought that you might be mistaken (if you'll
excuse my insolence!), but your next note, below proves that you know your
stuff!!!

The 10x20 thick baseplate (#700/e) also has no LEGO written on the studs. • And it
has a flat textured bottom divided into 4 quarters.

Now I'll have to check my Betta Bilda collection more closely to see if
there's any LEGO amongst it... BTW: Betta Bilda measures up slightly larger
than LEGO (I guess imperial instead of metric?) so the only way to tell is
if the bricks fit or not...

As ever, Gary, thanks for sharing your knowledge 8-)

Jon.

  Hey Jon, or others who've heard of Air Fix.  I have a sealed Betta Bilda
kit.  It looks to be from the early 60s.  I tried to get some info about it
when I found it, but no one responded and none of the Air Fix fan pages had
anything regarding Betta Bilda, only plastic models.  Is there any demand
for these in the UK?  I like it, though its not betta than Lego.

--
   Have fun!
   John