 General / 1264
Re: why the 1999 catalog images have moved
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 07:41:09 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lpien@ctp.IWANTNOSPAM.com> writes:

Mike Stanley wrote:

I've been willing to pay my dues for a while now.  :)  Especially if I
can go ahead and lock in a prime piece of baseplate.

Ya, me too. I heard offline that this bandwidth bill was not that much
scratch,

It would have cost ~$500/month if it had continued at that bandwidth rate.
Obviously it would be going down after the 1999 catalogs appear in more
stores, but on the other hand it could also have gone up by 5x or more if
the readership of rec.arts.sf.starwars.misc heard about it and thought it
was interesting.

it was just the trendline that was worrisome. Or so the rumor said.

Correct! -- Our server box and its CPU and disk are owned and colocated (not
rented) so it's a fixed monthly cost for as much disk and CPU time as we
want to use.  Bandwidth up to 500 MB/day is also a fixed cost under the
current payment plan, but bandwidth above 500 MB/day costs $2.50/month per
10 MB/day in excess of 500 MB/day.  So it's the perfect payment plan for a
largish site specializing in zillions of dynamically created HTML pages per
day and thousands or (tens of thousands) of small and medium-sized images.
But it's not the right setup (monetarily) for a site with zillions of large,
heavily accessed images, even though the hardware and network can handle it
without even blinking.

--Todd