 General / 12376
Re: K stands for........
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 22:32:52 GMT

Gary Istok wrote:

Richard Schuit wrote:

What does the "K" in K-Mart stand for?

Yes, it does stand for Kresge.  S.S. Kresge (for Sebastian S. Kresge -
the founder) was the name of the 5 & 10 stores (nickel & dime) that were
all over America from during the first 8 decades of this century.  They
disappeared in the 1980's when all Kresge stores were closed, in favor
of the larger KMART.  The first KMART appeared in 1963 in Garden City
Michigan (a suburb of Detroit).  The company headquarters are still
located in metro Detroit.  I have several friends that work for KMART
Corporation.

Same here.  The headquarters are still in Troy, MI.  Having grown up right
next door in Southfield, it was right up there with J. L. Hudson and various
auto companies (a far second, though) as a possible career point.  I don't
think the "K" is for "Krap", though--despite sometimes having second-echelon
merchandise, K-Mart to their credit have not raised prices on SW sets to
gouge the consumer.  In fact, I got a lot of them for almost 50% off in the
last couple of weeks.

I remember when there were "Kresge" stores as well--usually in strip-malls
or as holdovers from long-ago days.  My understanding is that K-Mart was to
Kresge stores as "Super K-Mart" is to "K-Mart" (SAT/GRE practice,
anyone?)...or Meijer is to "Meijer Thrifty Acres."  Just the newest
iteration...though maybe Gary can clear me up on this, since I'm a young
scamp of an AFOL (born in 1971, merely yesterday!).

best,

Lindsay
(Still officially a resident of Northville, MI)

---

Lindsay Frederick Braun (Mr)
Department of History