 General / 12401
Re: K stands for........
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 20:49:07 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote:

I remember when there were "Kresge" stores as well--usually in strip-malls
or as holdovers from long-ago days.  My understanding is that K-Mart was to
Kresge stores as "Super K-Mart" is to "K-Mart" (SAT/GRE practice,
anyone?)...or Meijer is to "Meijer Thrifty Acres."  Just the newest
iteration...though maybe Gary can clear me up on this, since I'm a young
scamp of an AFOL (born in 1971, merely yesterday!).

Acutally, if I understand this correctly, there are three types of
K-Mart at the momment:

o K-Mart: older stores, not yet refurbished (I know of two in my
shopping radius)

o Big K-Mart: either new stores or refurbished older stores

o Super K-Mart: typically larger than a Big K-Mart. Has a full grocery
department. Some are open 24/hrs. Looks to me like they were designed to
compete with the WalMart Super Centers.

One of the strangest Big K-Marts I have ever seen is in Winter Haven
FL. Big huge towering ceilings, has those large round HVAC ducts
embedded in the ceiling. The place is massive. Looks like something
built 30 years ago.

Ray