 General / 12350
Re: K stands for........
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 16:08:10 GMT

Richard Schuit wrote:

What does the "K" in K-Mart stand for?

Yes, it does stand for Kresge.  S.S. Kresge (for Sebastian S. Kresge -
the founder) was the name of the 5 & 10 stores (nickel & dime) that were
all over America from during the first 8 decades of this century.  They
disappeared in the 1980's when all Kresge stores were closed, in favor
of the larger KMART.  The first KMART appeared in 1963 in Garden City
Michigan (a suburb of Detroit).  The company headquarters are still
located in metro Detroit.  I have several friends that work for KMART
Corporation.

Gary Istok
St. Clair Shores, Michigan