 General / 11920
11919  |  11921
Subject:
Lego Railguns
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 20:45:46 GMT

After recently purchasing some 4.5v straight track, it brought back
some childhood memories...

People have often talked about cannons that fire vs. those that don't.

Now how many of you Lego fans discovered the joy and carnage of
railguns?

I built them using two 4.5v rails side by side with a 2x3 plate at one
end and an elastic built into the muzzle.  Additional rails served as
the ammo.  The rail is loaded like a crossbow and locked down on the
2x3 plate.  Al little flick of the thumb and it was off.. Like a
bullet!   :-)

Friends and I would build battleships with several blocks inside
representing the crewman (I guess I didn't have minifigs back then).
We'd take turns chipping away each ship till one of us sunk the
opponents ship by splashing (actually smashing) the crewman.

We'd often use 2 pairs of rails set end to end for a longer barrel
having higher velocity and accuracy.

It's amazing how much power these had...  Simpler Lego models could be
obliterated by a couple shots.  I actually remember breaking a cab
door in half one time.

Just one of those things kids will do to have fun...

Now where did I put those straight rails??

<ICS>

P.S. If you try this, I won't be responsible for broken Lego, mashed
rail tips or lost eyes.  Be careful out there.  :-)