 Off-Topic / Fun / 3747
Re: Lego Railguns
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 10:31:39 GMT

But he mentioned nothing about POWERING his - a rubber band does not a railgun make.

Ben Olmstead/BEM wrote:

"Tom Stangl, VFAQman" wrote:

Sorry, but you just built a gun with rails, not a railgun ;-)

I remember seeing a REAL railgun at a science competition in DC once - > the boy built it right - electromagnets would accelerate a bolt fast
enough (in about a foot) to dent a piece of sheetmetal pretty good.

No, what he built *is* a railgun.

A railgun is just two rails connected to opposite poles of a (usually
powerful) current source, with a conductive 'bullet' between them.
Hence the name 'railgun'.  (This is something that our Physics II prof
used a *lot* for examples/problems--even had a military guy come in and
talk about them (the Navy uses large models on warships).)

Note that a railgun with a decent current source (U.S. wall current
works, if I recall correctly) can accelerate a bolt to about the same
velocity as a bullet from a gun, with about a foot of rail.

It *is* possible to build a device which will accelerate an object
using a series of electromagnets, but this is a very complicated thing--
it involves quickly reversing the currents on a bunch of electromagnets
at precisely the right time.  Maglev trains use this method to
accelerate, because it doesn't require that the train touch the track.
--
                                          Ben Olmstead/BEM
                                          <bem@mad.scientist.com>

--