 Off-Topic / Fun / 3748
Re: Lego Railguns
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 13:22:44 GMT

No, what he built *is* a railgun.

A railgun is just two rails connected to opposite poles of a (usually
powerful) current source, with a conductive 'bullet' between them.
Hence the name 'railgun'.  (This is something that our Physics II prof
used a *lot* for examples/problems--even had a military guy come in and
talk about them (the Navy uses large models on warships).)

He couldn't have used electricity with this configuration as 4.5 v track
isn't electrified.  He says that the motive power for the ammo was "an
elastic built into the muzzle."  It IS just a gun that shoots rails.

Will