 General / 11062
Re: Crappy Plates!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 18:01:51 GMT

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:38456002.446B@mindspring.com...
Patricia Schempp wrote:

In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler writes:

But so tasty!  Since I was mainly interested in the sets, I just bought • a
burger.  Apparently the the greater fry-heat has a more sharply • detrimental
effect on ABS, because I haven't noticed much warping.
Is the effect especially prevalent in the pink plates?

    Dave!

ABS can take sustained heat up to 190 degrees F, (after that it will • soften.
boil a brick and you will get a mess)  but I doubt the food gets that • hot.
Maybe.

Fries right out of the fryer are an awfull lot hotter...

Tell me about it.  I got a load of frier grease dumped on my feet when I was
in high school.  2nd and 3rd degree burns.

Note also that
ABS softens at much lower temperatures (I have "fixed" loose clips by
running them under hot water and applying some pressure).

I have to agree here.  I noticed this past summer that sets shipped during
the August heat wave did not hold together as strongly as they should.
Granted, 150 degrees isn't going to bend a plate to a 90 degree angle, but it
can do damage.

-John Van