 General / 10608
Re: LEGO/DK event at Ottakars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 21:01:36 GMT

Cross posted to lugnet.general and followups set to lugnet.general.

Thought you all might be interested in this.  I happened to catch this using my
browser.  It seems some folks at DKFL are now (after going to press) looking
into the 2 DK books as to buildability.

I personally just got the Amazing Animals book (I hope that title is right?)
for my nephiew and was looking thru it.  I noticed a few animals that looked
very difficult for many casual fans to build but one that struck me was the
"Fat Frog" (Again I am guessing I don't have the book in front of me).  I would
be supprised if very many if any of the people here could build this little
guy.  He is made up of mostly green bricks and slopes.  The bricks are not a
problem but the slopes are another story.  For the regular and low slope parts
these are hard to find although not impossible but what may be nearly
impossible is to find the 6 inverted 2x3 low slopes in green.  We had a look
around the store we were in (The Construction Site www.constructiontoys.com )
and the best we could do was the Bar Code Truck which has 2 1x3 inverted green
slopes.  So what is that about $1000 to build a "Fat Frog" yikes.

I definitly think a lot more research needs to go into these books as far as
piece availability to the every day fan.  Just because they are in the LEGO
warehouse does not mean they are available to us.

Overall I like the books it would just be nice to have the parts as well.

Eric

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

In lugnet.loc.uk, Neil Ford writes:
Apologies if the formatting on this is messed up... I'm using Netscrape
at work to read news :-)

I will indeed pass comments on to the relevent people.  We have actually
received calls here at DKFL regarding the very subject of not having the
right bricks.  As an experiment I have brought my personal copies in
(would you believe we didn't have copies in the office) and a 1796
Freestyle bucket to see how far we get.  I suspect we will be sorely
disappointed.

I will report back on what response I get.

Neil.

dakershaw wrote:

In lugnet.loc.uk, Richard Franks writes:

I don't personally have a problem with that, and if you could persuade them
that the amazing figures books should come with the hard-to-find pieces • that
they show, or have an offer to buy them... then all the better :)

Richard got to post before I did. My Five year old has just been given the • two
new books for people & animals, made  "from bricks that you have at home".
I would be interested to find out how many of these models (if any) can be
completed, in the right colours, in the average LEGO owning household.
Disappointed children and harassed parents this Christmas day I suspect.

That's my florin's worth

Alan Kershaw