 Gaming / Starship / 480
Re: Rules Talk: Ammend GM Duties (was: GM Nominations)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 00:44:49 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, Richard Parsons wrote:
   In lugnet.gaming.starship, Andrew Engstrom wrote:

Hmmm...It seems to me that, while the GM currently takes care of all these duties, it might be a good idea to delegate a few to appointed “Galactic” positions (if there are any more sets by that name ;-)

So, I propose that, once elected, a GM appoints his “Galactic Cabinet” to help him with GM duties (help, but probably not replace). Besides GM, there might be three positions:

1) Galactic Chief (Registers ships, currently held by Richard)

2) Galactic Peace Keeper (Discusses rules)

3) Galactic Scout (plots movement)

Note that all three titles are actual names of LEGO sets :-) The GM would retain his function of greeting players, and would send out the official movement/galactic action notices. Also, the GM would still be the official webmaster of the SS website. Unless, of course, he chooses to swap jobs with a cabinet member.

Not only does this allow each person to put more effort into their Galactic Duties, it also allows more time to be an SM, a player, and a real person in real life!

Any thoughts or arguments? I know that now might be a bad time to look into this, but looking at the last year, it might be a great improvement to the office of GM, in which our amazing Hendotron has served us! ;-)

Sounds sensible. Happy to leave this in the purview of the GM. Once Hendo is not the GM, I am not the GC, until the new GM appoints me (or someone else). I’d stay away from electing all these positions though...

While I do like Andrew’s idea here (I believe the concept was mentioned before also), I believe I see Richard’s point. To keep the rules simple, I think we should stick with one elected GM who is “responsible” for the current GM duties. But, as this is a community game, any given GM is free (and invited) to appoint whomever he wishes to whatever positions he deems needed in order to delegate some of that responsibility. Naturally, if someone feels they could help the GM out in some significant way, then they can email the GM and make an offer (as Richard did with me). The GM can then accept the offer of help and can even announce it publically with an optional Galactic title (as I did with Richard). Naturally, if an appointee (cabinet member) doesn’t do a good job, the GM can overrule or even dismiss him at will. And if he does a great job (again such as Richard), then future GMs might be wise to negotiate such a person into their own cabinet after their election.

In short, I like the idea. But I do not think it needs to be part of the rules, nor should it be a requirement of a GM to do it, nor should there be restrictions on how a GM does it (for example, if a GM could possibly appoint a non-participant web-designer as a Galactic Chief, I don’t think anyone would complain about having a non-player around if it meant the Starship site suddenly included an interactive database with bells and whistles).

Ah, I haven’t rambled like that since we developed these rules... :)

-GM Hendo