 Gaming / Starship / 479
Re: Rules Talk: Ammend GM Duties (was: GM Nominations)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 23:38:00 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, Andrew Engstrom wrote:
In lugnet.gaming.starship, John P. Henderson wrote:
Galactic Greetings!

It has been over a year since we started planning the Starship Galaxy, and just
under a year since we opened it up to play.  And now we are less than 30 days
away from the New Year.  That means it is time to start thinking about the
annual Starship election!

Now is the time to nominate participants for the position of Galactic Mediator,
moderator of galactic movement, diplomat of galactic introductions, and
discussor of galactic rules.  An actual vote will be held amongst current
Starship participants starting in two or three weeks and then concluding on
December 31st, 2003.  But before we vote, we must ask who is on the ballot.  If
there is someone you think is good for the job, nominate them now!

Candidates, start your campaigns!  :)

-Hendo

Hey

Hmmm...It seems to me that, while the GM currently takes care of all these
duties, it might be a good idea to delegate a few to appointed "Galactic"
positions (if there are any more sets by that name ;-)

So, I propose that, once elected, a GM appoints his "Galactic Cabinet" to help
him with GM duties (help, but probably not replace).  Besides GM, there might be
three positions:

1) Galactic Chief (Registers ships, currently held by Richard)

2) Galactic Peace Keeper (Discusses rules)

3) Galactic Scout (plots movement)

Note that all three titles are actual names of LEGO sets :-)  The GM would
retain his function of greeting players, and would send out the official
movement/galactic action notices.  Also, the GM would still be the official
webmaster of the SS website.  Unless, of course, he chooses to swap jobs with a
cabinet member.

Not only does this allow each person to put more effort into their Galactic
Duties, it also allows more time to be an SM, a player, and a real person in
real life!

Any thoughts or arguments?  I know that now might be a bad time to look into
this, but looking at the last year, it might be a great improvement to the
office of GM, in which our amazing Hendotron has served us!  ;-)

Sounds sensible.  Happy to leave this in the purview of the GM.  Once Hendo is
not the GM, I am not the GC, until the new GM appoints me (or someone else).
I'd stay away from electing all these positions though...

Richard
Still baldly going...