 Gaming / Starship / 410
Re: More new ships in the pipeline
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:39:47 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, Andrew Engstrom wrote:
   In lugnet.gaming.starship, Richard Parsons wrote:
   Hi guys,

   Almost all our registrations so far are for warships, exploration vessels, traders and the odd maintenance tender.

Yeah, I’ve noticed that, too. Is it just the nature of the beast? Or are we doing like TLC did; it seems that Lego towns are almost entirely made up of fire stations and police stations, with the odd rescue center or two. All action and no supporting businesses, etc.

I actually came up with a list of types of ships for myself way back when we were developing this galaxy. Passenger Liners, Steamers (small cargo vessels that can be easily fitted for passenger or destroyer use), Hospital Ships, Colony Ships, are just a few of what I had thought of at the time in addition to the traditional military and exploration vessels. It is nice to see someone working with one of these ideas (independent of my own).

For Liners, SMs might consider planning ahead and actually have a number of regular passengers who have heard about the Liners and are waiting to embark. The more marketing from the Player and the more attractive the destination, the more passengers a sector might offer (and of course that translates into those ever-elusive platinum chits). :) Also, a planet with a smaller population would have fewer passengers available. ...A similar perspective could be taken if any player ever offers a cargo fleet.

   In the meantime, I may need to request a special dispensation or something on the Systems Treaty of Spraw. I have 5 high propulsion and 7 medium propulsion vessels. When I make these tenders mediums, I will be out of interesting systems slots for propulsion.

Yeah, I remember when the systems limits were discussed, and this exact topic came up. The 5-10 system was voted for the most so that no one player could blockade a sector with super-high-quality ships...or do something similar. I think we should revise the system so that you can register as many as you want, and they only count against the slots if you actually *deploy* them. It might make a little more work for the GM (who, I might add, has done a magnificent job so far). Hmm. Any other thoughts?

Well, we have said all along that this (especially the first year) is a play-test of how our rules function. And we have always said that given reason to vote, that new or alternate rules can be devised and revised. But before we go that far, I would argue that Richard has a few alternatives in this instance:

1. As he said, he could decommision one or more vessels to open medium or high slots for propulsion.

2. He could refit one or more of his ships and in doing so change their ratings to low. This could be reasonable if he has a ship that doesn’t need to travel fast. And an in-game reason would be nice (e.g. he might explain that the ship spent a week in port having its generator replaced with an emergency substitute due to an unstable fuel device). This would open up a better slot without totally decommissioning a vessel, as the older vessel would just change to slow.

3. He could remove one or more ships from the official registry but keep them in-game as NPCs. Any Sector Mediator may have NPC ships. An NPC ship is a vessel that functions like a ship except that the owner never sends it from its home sector. It hangs out there, looks pretty, can be used during adventures when other players visit, etc. But the owner can’t send it out of the home sector without registering it. It is through this rule that SMs can populate their systems and sectors with all sorts of native vessels (as well as alien ones). I myself have hundreds, but I only plan to officially register a representative or two from each class. NPC ships do not count against your player limits (Treaty of Spraw). And as an SM, you can make one of your Player Ships an NPC or one of your NPCs a Player Ship pretty much at will, provided they are currently in one of your own sectors and provided you stay within the limits for Player Ships. Now this rule does not generally prevent the sort of issue at hand. But it might be good for Richard specifically, because last I checked he has several of his ships on station in his own sectors, and they have been there unmoving for some time now. Just a thought.

In any event, I vote to continue on the old way for a while, just to see how it functions when someone is at the limit. If we find it isn’t working in a fair and fun manner, then we can review the rules.

Anyone have any other thoughts? (Remember, all participant’s opinions are important and equal!)

-GM Hendo