 Gaming / Starship / 339
338  |  340
Subject:
Thoughts on a multi-sector organisation for security and development
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:07:49 GMT

To: All system governmental organisations
Re: Thoughts on a multi-sector organisation for security and development

The Commonwealth of New Pacific has watched with concern proceedings in Arbor
and Val Central sectors, where large numbers of civilian people are disdvantaged
by political upheaval and machinations.

One wonders whether these disputes and this suffering may not have been
mitigated or even solved, had there been a galactic, mediated forum where issues
might have been addressed.

In this context, I propose for discussion the creation of a galactic body,

To provide more of a sense of what this might be about, I tentatively put
forward some thooughts about the purpose of such an organisation:

- to save sentient species from the multifold cost of armed conflict, which has
brought untold sorrow to sentient species thoughout time, and

- to reaffirm faith in fundamental rights of sentients, in the dignity and worth
of the cognitive mind, in the equal rights of sentients of people of systems
large and small, wealthier and poorer, more developed and less developed, and

- to establish conditions under which justice and respect for the obligations
arising from these principles, from treaties and other sources of galactic law
can be maintained, and

- to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom.

The cost of such an organisation would be considerable.  I pledge that New
Pacific is prepared to meet a share in proportion to her economic wealth (not
her population), in addition to offering seed funds to host interim facilities.
I make this offer without any recommendation that any proposed organisation be
any more or less aligned with New Pacific for this contribution.

I welcome the thoughts of any of system governments charged with the welfare of
their people.

In faith in galactic co-operation and collaboration

John E Holt, MP
First Mate of the Commonwealth of New Pacific

And yes, I shamelessly poached
this text from somewhere else.
Somewhere worthy though ;-)