 Gaming / Starship / 294
Re: Weekend Reports 8/29/03 (a tad early)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 07:44:57 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, John P. Henderson wrote:
Galactic Greetings!

I wonder what is happening elsewhere in our growing galaxy...

Spraw is very quiet, with one vessel having joined in with patrol duties while
he gets used to how the game is played.

New Pacific is amazingly busy, with eight active vessels.  I have not been equal
to the challenge of keeping all the action emails up to date over the last
little while, but I am pleased to say that my head is above water again.  Action
emails went out to two new players last night and the rest should follow over
the next 36 hours.  By way of overview, I have some folks come to meet Port
Block Yards, some folks come to explore the dust clouds (which I'm sorry to say,
really are more or less just dust clods), and there is one ship in the sector
lost in time having tried to activate some new fangled and unknown jumpdrive
within the sector.

I do need to remind folks that New Pacific really isn't meant to be an adventure
sector, so amazingly exciting things don't tend to happen too often, but I would
suggest that it might make an easy, low threat place for new players to get the
hang of action emails.

I too have taken the route of having a few hidden pages to deliver additional
material on specific bases and places as people encounter them.

Beyond what's happening in my sectors, I note that I have tried to rise to the
bait of non-human crewed vessels.  The Jahn Sheefn tooling about in Arbor are
not turning out to be particularly human, and I have a new ship (The Brok)
easing away from her moorings which will be commanded by the new green reptilian
dudes MB have released (no, not the mutant Teenage Ninja Turtle dudes - puleeeze
- the non-human Dragons line dudes)  This ship is an attack carrier, arriving to
the game with her wing of eight fighters and a hangar to house them all.  The
back story is not complete, but they're mean, nasty and cruel (thinking Vogons
from HHGttG), they use humans as slaves for the drudge work (thinking the recent
PotA only more tech), and they choose death over defeat (kinda Klingon-y).  They
have probably got a home sector, but anyone going there would need to well armed
and looking for battle.  These guys probably make the USC look like nice guys
when it comes to galactic good manners.  These guys would not be politely asking
you to leave - they figure you'll work it out once their weapons start dancing
over your shields, and if you kill a few of them and are still breathing, maybe
then they'll talk to you :-)

For those shocked at the thought of minifigs in 'discipline suits' that inflict
pain on the wearer at the whim of the overseer, I note that no Lego minifigs
were harmed in the production of this backstory.  Quite a few MB Alien Agency
figs are not very happy though.  Indeed, this is the first all MB production I
have come at.  Plenty of the ubiquitous grey 2x4 bricks, Alien Agency fighters
and slaves, Dragons line command crew and pilots, and bigger than HES
Scarborough.  Thankfully Scarborough still lives, but I'm all out of MB :-)

Richard
Still baldly going...