 Gaming / BrikWars / 258
Re: Vehicle Scorer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:08:57 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.brikwars, Aaron M. Sneary wrote:
Glad to get someone interested. It shouldn't be 'terribly' difficult. I've
built a VERY simple version using MS Excel's logic functions but it was never
share-worthy.

Heh, I finally caught wind of this thread :)

Like Mike, I'd really like to see an updated-for-2001 rules scorer... Which is
sorta what started stopping me.

The difficulty came when I started adapting the scorer for the 2001 rulebook,
and tried to start including the creature-creation rules, which allow for
multiple limbs, multiple heads, etc., which could allow for not only the scoring
of such limbs, but also a variable number of weapon/armor/etc slots. In essence,
the HTML form needs to dynamically accomidate itself according to your input,
unlike the existing one which just assumes the basics, and remains static.

It actually shouldn't be THAT hard-- it just required me rewriting the scorer
completely, because right now it's based on a strict flow diagram and a fixed
model of a trooper, rather than one that's always in flux.

Vehicles are similar-- You could have a kazillion weapons, power numbers, etc.
on a vehicle, which sorta change the form inputs as you go along. Not as
straightforward as a simple trooper or whatnot.

Other tidbits I'd like to add "someday":

- list of weapon/equipment stats that were input, and what the contribute to the
total CP/AV/MV/etc, so that during the course of the game, the character can be
more easily re-calculated if they are bereft of their stuff.

- correct improvements/disimprovements (I think the scoring was off by 1? maybe
I fixed that long ago, dunno)

- Allow for more than 2 improvements/disimprovements

- ability to "save" characters (this got into fantastically awesome things like
scoring an entire army, printing out multiple unit stats per page, etc., but
also suffered from requiring a user system to ensure no "spying" on other
people's units or changing their stats)

- on the above note, allow custom weapon/equipment creation, which could be
saved and then used for your troopers/vehicles.

Although, it must be said, there's other tricky bits in there IIRC, like parsing
out damage, and combining like types (stun vs. fire vs. explosive vs. regular,
etc). I seem to remember this being my foray into finding BrikWars
inconsistancies, and the start of me joining Shaun in driving Mike crazy with
rules specifications. So perhaps for the sake of Mike's sanity, I shouldn't do
that again. Or-- perhaps for the sake of Mike's sanity, I should.

DaveE