 Gaming / BrikWars / 102
Re: A Public Apology
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:11:08 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.brikwars, Mike Rayhawk wrote:
I got an email today to the BrikWars contact address from a very offended
reader.  Apparently one of the quotes in the Medieval Japan supplement
contains misleading information; specifically, the one in chapter MJ.6:
Ninjas:

"Facts:
  1. Ninjas are mammals.
  2. Ninjas fight ALL the time.
  3. The purpose of the ninja is to flip out
     and kill people."

         - The Official Ninja Webpage,
           http://www.realultimatepower.net/

As it turns out, the Official Ninja Webpage may not be an entirely
trustworthy source of information.

I apologize to all my readers who placed their trust in BrikWars as a source
of well-researched and accurate information.  Furthermore, I apologize to all
people who were damaged by these offensive stereotypes, especially those in
the ninja community.  Please do not cut my head off or kick me right in the
face.

Mike, I am appauled. I had not read the Ninja ruleset until this apology
prompted me to. Upon reading, I found many other egregious errors including:

"Many animals in Japan, including dragons, cranes, racoon-dogs, and foxes, had
many magical powers and could transform into one type of human or another."

"A ninja with a blowgun never runs out of bamboo blowgun darts."

"Sumo wrestlers are enormously big and strong.  They are strong enough to uproot
trees or lift horses to throw at enemies."

"A building may contain a shrine."

"Every Samurai was highly trained, and could perform impressive feats such as
chopping arrows out of the air, slicing through trees or stone lanterns with a
single sword stroke, sensing a cowardly attack from behind, or composing
delicate poetry in the midst of a heated battle."

I hope that in the future, you will research your facts more thoroughly.

DaveE