 Gaming / 661
Re: Anyone up for a big castle BrikWars over break?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 23:04:05 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Jason Rowoldt writes:
2. Decide on the terrain and rules.  I think doing hand to hand combat
with thousands of troops will take WAAAAAAAAAY too long.  I think the
guys in Ohio and the Aussies both had big Medival BrikWars games
recently.  Any advice/lessons learned guys?  If we could get the
distingushed mass army collector, Marc "Mr. Baltimore" Nelson, to
come down we would have plenty of troops.
I think we should use a platoon-as-a-unit type thing or a modified
large-scale hand-to-hand and arrow ruleset.  Any advice Mr. Rayhawk?

I probably don't have any ideas you haven't already thought of, but here
goes nothing:

1.  Platoons as units.
In a very large game, try to create large groups of units who are all
identically equipped.  This way they'll all have the same stats, and can
move, fight, and defend as groups.  When moving, don't bother measuring out
5" (or whatever their movement rate) for each individual fig; find the
approximate center of the platoon, measure 5" in the direction you want to
go, and move the whole platoon.  It's not a very precise method, but it's
lot faster.

When attacking single targets, a platoon of troops may do Combined Fire
damage; when attacking another platoon, they would more usually do
individual-level damage.

Because all units in a platoon have the same equipment and stats and fire at
the same targets, Attack and Damage rolls can be made en masse.  Suppose you
have a group of 20 archers firing at a horde of enemy infantry.  Figure out
what number is needed to hit, roll 20 dice, and however many exceed that
number is the number of enemies hit.  For the damage roll, figure out what
number is needed to kill an enemy infantryman.  However many 'hits' you
scored when making the Attack Roll, roll that many dice and you'll quickly
determine how many infantry were fatally pierced.

In a hand-to-hand situation, counterattacks could be rolled in similar
fashion, based on the number of survivors in the defending platoon.

It is up to the players to decide which infantrymen are the unlucky victims;
in most cases this can be safely left to defender's choice.  If possible,
avoid making attacks that change a unit's abilities - for instance, if you
stun an enemy then his rolls will have to be made separately until he
recovers; that will tend to slow things down.

Things like range, speed, and cover will vary from shooter to shooter and
target to target, but don't try and calculate them on an individual basis.
Roughly determine an 'average' range and so forth from one platoon to the
other, and then apply the appropriate bonus or penalty to the attacks of all
members of the platoon.

2. Homogeneity.
In a big battle, the most important thing is to keep things running
smoothly.  To this end, keep your number of special units to a minimum.
Don't try to use any rules or abilities that you aren't 100% clear on, or
there will be all kinds of arguments.  You can have a greater proportion of
special units as long as they all have the same or similar special abilities
- this will keep things conceptually simpler, and any unclearness about how
their special abilities are handled can be cleared up early.

The most complicated parts of the rulebook should be avoided completely if
possible.

3. Settling arguments.
If arguments do crop up, settle them quickly.  If it looks like you can't
settle the arguments quickly, take a vote or roll some dice to decide the
outcome and move on.  If the argument is too serious to be decided by a roll
of the dice, then somebody is taking the game too seriously and needs a good
whack with the Hammer of Discipline to remind them of the proper priorities.
Keep the Hammer prominently displayed at all times so no one forgets its
power.  If there are a lot of players, you may need multiple Hammers.

If we can plan this right we can have the largest medival BrikWars ever.
Let's get the rules right for pacing (think - no more than 5 attacks each
per turn and units start out kind of close).

I don't know if it's necessarily a good idea to limit the number of attacks
per turn, but you can give it a shot.

If we do this right I can capture the entire event on
Studios and make a nifty movie of it. Carmina Bruana anyone? :)

Studios can do stop-motion animation, right?  It would be cool to snap a
frame or two after each platoon moved.  Anything more complicated than that
would slow down the game though.

- Mike Rayhawk.