 Gaming / 577
Re: BrikWars RV question (not from Gino this time...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 16:09:07 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Mike Rayhawk writes:
In lugnet.fun.gaming, Adrian Drake writes:
Okay, I'm costing a mech that's woefully underpowered for all the
gizmos that I want to give him, so I have to buy a High Torque option
(or two) for the poor guy. I'm assuming that standard vehicle upgrades
work on mecha as well, right?

If you're building it as a standard vehicle, sure.  If you're using the RV
rules to build it, then I don't know how well the math will hold up.  The
Vehicle Perfomance Modification rules were designed to let players modify
standard vehicles without having to switch over to RV rules, they weren't
really designed to be used in conjunction with the RV rules.  But, I don't see
why you couldn't, as long as you're careful about it.  If you end up with
really strange numbers, or if the other players get ticked off, then you
should probably try something else.

The main issue is that this mech is armed with a fairly large number of small
(relative to it) MKII missiles, which chew up enormous emounts of -CMP".  It
seems incongruous to have 4 MKII missiles have as much -CMP" as a MKV laser,
which is a heckuva lot bigger.   So maybe it's less a problem with me trying to
load craploads of stuff onto this mech (which it really needs *smirk*) and more
to do with the CMP penalty on missiles being a little too stiff.  Anybody else
have a comment on that?

If you're using VPMs to exceed normal stat limits under the RV rules, then
just to be fair you should pay for them with VP Disimprovements rather than
with CPs.  It would be reasonable to offset High Torque with Decreased Top
Speed or Decreased Handling, for instance.

I guess I could do that.  A great big powerful heavy mech probably isn't that
fleet-footed (especially with all the extra armor it has...)

If so, then can I get multiple copies of it? (sure, it'll cost, but that's a
chance I'll have to take)

On the one hand, there's only so far you can push technology beyond its
natural limits, and individual VPMs are supposed to represent pushing the
envelope as far as it will go.  On the other hand, if all the other players
are cool with your disdain for the laws of physics, then go for it.

Hey, it's a TL6 mech.  Haven't you ever watched Macross or Gundam Wing?  Those
things defy the laws of physics on a continuous basis!

Also, do I have to use this power or the base power
of the vehicle in calculating stuff like mass and arm and leg costs?

The base power of the vehicle, I think.  Don't take the VPMs into account
until all the other calculations are finished.

I can see that I'm going to have to think up some 'Using Vehicle Performance
Mods on Robotic Vehicles' rules to add to the RV supp, or maybe even give
robots their own Robot Performance Mods or something.

That might be a useful addition.  I'll talk this stuff over with Gino when we
meet up today.

Adrian
--
www.brickfrenzy.com