 Gaming / 568
Re: brikwars and vehicles... and stupendous feats
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:50:46 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Stephen F. Roberts writes:
"Mike Rayhawk" <rayhawk@artcenter.edu> wrote:

...It was the jailbreak. I was bringing in a MTT mostly as a troop
transport. It was slow, but faster than the troops on foot (didn't remember
hoverboards). The idea was the MTT would be able to get them close enuf
before dropping them off to limit the damage the troops themselves would
take.

Hoverboards are supposed to be Johari-specific anyway, one of the advantages
they get for all the disadvantages their Civilization has.

Nah, running up against a fortified position, a troop transport only serves as
a good way to keep all your troops in one place so they can all get blown up
at the same time.

What would you have done if you were in charge of penetrating a quasi-military
installation in real life?  I'll bet a full frontal assault wouldn't have been
your first pick.  You should have taken more advantage of the scenario, tried
some kind of underhanded subterfuge to gain access and sow confusion.  For
instance, why not spend some CV's on a civilian sky transport, call out a
couple of maydays, pretend that you are came under attack from the other
player's forces and got blown off course.  Then fake a crash-landing outside
the fortress gates and yell about how you require emergency medical help.
Now, the base has to open the gates and send out a bunch of troops to defend
you from the other players.  Just make sure you have a bunch of plainclothes
Ninjas, Heroes, and Troopers mixed in with your civilian passengers, and hope
that they get taken inside the forcefield to the infirmary.  Then, when you
bring in the rest of your forces, disguised as members of the local military,
in order to 'aid in the defense of the passenger transport,' you can use the
crashed jet for cover, mop up the other players, and get in range of the
prison before they figure out what's going on.  At least, that's what *I*
would have tried.

...Well, even a light troop transport (in our case, a soccer bus loaded
with troops) was still kinda slow. At 14", it was hard to get it up in
time (I do think we started too far out, but that's a diff story :-)

Those defense turrets must have been pretty serious.

it is on Full Speed/run.  this 2x speed modifier only applies to base
movement, units that get modifiers from other things can choose to use
those mods or the full speed mod but not both (hoverboards can not go
40"!!! )

Or instead, I could just limit speed bonuses to the maximum speed for the TL
(which I forgot to put in, in the last revision, but I'll be putting it in
this time).

Units in a Run/Dead Run also suffer a -1/2X modifier to ram (they are easy
to dodge and harder to steer). All hazard rolls are at -1/2X.

I don't know what they'd be ramming, since there are no other units within 30".

...One thing we wanted to avoid was the idea of a troop dropper running
_way_ fast up and dropping troops in the middle of things with no chance of
disaster (thus the '1 turn doing nothing' bit and the 'cant Dead Run if
within 30"' bit).

If a transport was running that fast, I don't think even an anti-grav
parachute would be enough to keep the troops from splattering when they hit
the ground.

- Mike Rayhawk.