 Gaming / 566
Re: brikwars and vehicles... and stupendous feats
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 16:45:41 GMT

"Mike Rayhawk" <rayhawk@artcenter.edu> wrote:

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Stephen F. Roberts writes:
...Ok, something needs to be done with vehicles :-/ we played this
weekend, and hoverboarded guys were the only ones to even make it close
to the target.

What kind of a game objective were you going after?  Some kinds of battles
just don't lend themselves to the heavier machinery.  Was this part of Jason
Rowoldt's jailbreak scenario?  I wouldn't have brought any heavy machinery
into that.  Under a 700cp budget there's not enough points to buy the lighter
units you need to support their advance, the heavy machines just become
obvious targets for the turrets.  Remember how well the allied tank divisions
did when assaulting Normandy?  They hardly got a shot off either.  You just
don't want to put large targets within range of operational base guns.

...It was the jailbreak. I was bringing in a MTT mostly as a troop transport. It was slow,
but faster than the troops on foot (didn't remember hoverboards). The idea was the MTT
would be able to get them close enuf before dropping them off to limit the damage the
troops themselves would take.

Troop carriers and heavy support vehicles are fairly useless unless they
can kinda keep up with the troops :-/

While I'm always willing to throw historical accuracy out the window to
promote playability, troop carriers and heavy support vehicles are just plain
slow.  Heavy troop carriers are used when taking a bunch of troops from one
secure point to another, but if you're in a battlefield situation you
downgrade to trucks and jeeps.  Heavy support vehicles often don't make it
into position until the battle is well underway or even already decided, which
is what makes strategic-level operations so much fun.

...Well, even a light troop transport (in our case, a soccer bus loaded with troops) was
still kinda slow. At 14", it was hard to get it up in time (I do think we started too far
out, but that's a diff story :-)

...So anyway, we were batting around some ideas on making vehicles at least
be able to get to the battle faster and we came up with these ideas:

Full Speed/Run: the unit (vehicle or fig) moves at 2x normal speed. This
represents the unit going all out to get somewhere. Any hits on the unit
do double damage (the unit is not dodging and is an easy target [NOTE:
Decided on 2x damage vice 1/2 armour cuz it was easier to figure and made
for more spectacular explosions! :-)] The unit also cannot fire any
weapons, discharge troops, or do any action other than move on the turn
it is on Full Speed/run.  this 2x speed modifier only applies to base
movement, units that get modifiers from other things can choose to use
those mods or the full speed mod but not both (hoverboards can not go
40"!!! )

This looks like it'll work, although a little complex for my taste.  You can
get a similar effect by using the optional Dual Action rule listed in 1.1.2.
Here's a link:

http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/brikwars/1.htm#1-2

...yes. dual action is cool IMHO :-) But the Full Speed idea includes extra damage cuz the
unit being an easier target. (2x damage makes it that much easier to get that magical 20+
result on the vehicle damage table! woohoo!! :-)

Dead Run: (often called this because the unit is surely dead if it does
this). The unit/fig moves at 3x speed. Any damage that hits it is doubled
and the unit cannot fire or perform any other action the turn it is at a
Dead Run. Also, the unit must spend 1 turn with no actions other than move
for each turn it spent at Dead Run (turns at Full Speed don't count towards
this 'slow down' period).

A unit cannot start a turn of Run or Dead Run if it is within 30" of any
enemy unit (too busy dodging fire and avoiding damage to concentrate on
raw acceleration).

Units in a Run/Dead Run also suffer a -1/2X modifier to ram (they are easy
to dodge and harder to steer). All hazard rolls are at -1/2X.

This looks like it'll work too.  I might modify the Extra Effort rules (see
3.3.4: Moving Around) so that vehicles could commit all power to propulsion,
at the risk of engine damage.

...Engine damage would be a good trick too... I was figguring the risk of getting 2x
damage would be enough to discourage common use of this, but the damage bit is cool too!
Dead run basically makes the 'stunned' result from Extra Effort mandantory.

...One thing we wanted to avoid was the idea of a troop dropper running _way_ fast up and
dropping troops in the middle of things with no chance of disaster (thus the '1 turn doing
nothing' bit and the 'cant Dead Run if within 30"' bit).

Also: Can a champion use more than 1 stupendous feat to avoid a single
event? we were playing that they could use more than 1, but decided it
would bring them a bit more balanced if they could use only 1 per event
(such as a single salvo that hits).

It's up to you of course, but the way we handle it is, if the champion blows a
stupendous feat, he has to deal with the consequences of failure.  He can use
his next stupendous feat to try and avoid the consequences of failure, but he
can't use it to try and make things as if the first feat had never failed
(unless he has a stupendous ability to travel backwards in time).

An example off the top of my head: the enemy launches a javelin at your
champion with a high-powered mangonel.  The champion uses his first feat to
leap to one side and catch the javelin out of the air, but misses the roll:
the javelin hits him right in the gut.  The champion uses his second feat to
flex his abs so hard that the javelin bounces right off of them, but blows the
roll again.  Besides the fact that he has given himself an abdominal hernia,
the javelin pierces him thoroughly, which is inordinately painful.  He uses
his last feat to make himself lucky enough that the javelin missed all
important organs and failed to sever any intestines.  He finally makes the
roll, and may now continue fighting despite the javelin sticking out of his
midsection.  He will most likely be Stunned until he can get some medikal
attention, and he will have to put up with the nickname 'the Fighting
Shishkebab' for the rest of his days.

...That's kinda what happened. Tho I guess we were a bit too flexible with the failed roll
rule. When the champion failed the roll, they should have been stuck in the explosion, but
we let them roll again (I guess to un-twist their footie or whatever left them in the
disaster).

--
...you can go back to ignoring me now...

wubwub
stephen f roberts
wamalug guy  (http://wamalug.org)
Jain's Guide (http://wildlink.com/lego/jain)