 Gaming / 1076
Re: Auto-fire rule question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 09:15:33 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Aaron Sneary writes:
This does sound like the best option. I understand that
your chances of hitting someone/thing important should
be low, but every bullet that misses the first guy might
hit the next guy. If you fire a full clip into a large
crowd, you're going to probably miss the really annoying
fellows up front yelling foul names and carrying obscene
protest banners, but you're going to hit some of the
mindless college student wanna-bes behind them. Is there
any modifier for target density?

Absolutely, the modifier is that since there are that many more potential
targets, you're making that many more rolls.  You've got the wrong idea
about the way these things work, there is no bullet that 'misses' the first
guy.  You're making the roll to see if a bullet emerged from the barrel
during the instant that the gun happened to be facing in the direction of a
given target, not to see whether the firer had enough skill to time his
swing precisely enough to aim the 6th round of a burst at that target.

BUT, if you fire that same full clip in a 30 degree arc at 10 cows, all
facing perpendicular to you, and standing right in front of a termite ridden
barn, you're likely to hit some cows, and VERY likely to hit the broadside
of a barn.

They'd have to be standing at a pretty good distance if you want to fit ten
cows into a thirty degree arc, even if you stack them three deep.  At that
distance, a change of couple degrees of elevation in either direction from
the repeated recoil would be enough to take the barn completely out of the
cone of fire, so it's entirely possible to miss the braod side of that barn.

Now of course if we keep at this you're eventually going to find some
extreme example that I can't talk my way out of, but I figure those cases
will be rare enough that I can leave it to players' discretion to find an
appropriate way to deal with them when they come up.

PS. Has anyone read the BrikWars Scenario Sourcebook? Is it being boycotted
due to my sarcastic offer of selling hardcopies? Or because it's unofficial?
If so, take this as a solicitation to Mike for 'official'ness status...

http://www.lugnet.com/~1164/

It's good as a scrapbook summary of some of the ideas and discussions that
have passed through this newsgroup in the past, but as far as an 'official
sourcebook' goes it's a little underdeveloped, more of a work-in-progress...
not particularly even in style, somewhat limited in scope, could use a
couple more editing passes for typos.  Really, for an 'official' scenario
sourcebook I would want to have some good full-fleshed scenarios like Jason
Rowoldt's campaign episodes from way back when, or Eric and Shaun's WWII
scenarios, or the capture the flag game that Brendan just ran.  Maybe some
quotes on what makes a good scenario succeed or fail from people who've
participated in them.

- Mike.