 Games / 257
Re: X-Pod Play Off game included in LEGO magazine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.games, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 00:21:41 GMT

In lugnet.games, Mike Walsh wrote:

"Allan Bedford" wrote in message

1)  It involves the X-Pods which I think are going to be a huge hit, due to
their very high 'cool' factor.

Regardless, this TRU has sold through their stock
in little more than a week.

I think the price point will be a big seller too.  At $3-$4 (they were $3.99
@ TRU, I paid $3.49 at the LEGO Store in Schaumburg) they are priced at a
point where kids in the 6-8 range can spend their own money on them.

Exactly.  And they're not so expensive that a parent might not want the kids
'wasting' their money on something small like that.  It's a nice compromise
between price and value.

I'd love to see them at the Super Market, I'd probaby drop one or two in the
cart on a regular basis.

I think the packaging is perfect for display/sales in just about any store.  No
floor browser needed.  No special shelf requirements.  You just need a small
amount of pegs to hang them on.  If Hotwheels can sell well this way, then why
not LEGO sets?  I'm very excited by this line of products and can't wait to see
how they sell.

I had bought the the first two to have on my desk
at work but my kid have claimed them!  I am taking the blue one to work
today so that doesn't happen to this one.

That would make a funny TV commercial.... the dad having to hide his X-Pods from
the kids.  :)

Getting back to the game for a minute... I downloaded the full instructions from
LEGO.com today.  All I can say is....... wow, it really looks like the
development on this thing was well thought-out.  The full instructions for the
game itself are 27 pages, not including the starter information you download
separately for your particular X-Pod.  Those are another 7 or so pages.

I haven't had time to read through it all yet, but on the surface I would guess
that at least part of the dev team were fans of Magic: The Gathering.  I also
sensed some influence from a computer game I've enjoyed for years called
'Gearheads'.  In that game you try to get these crazy wind-up toys to cross the
board while preventing your opponent from doing the same.  Again, I'm really
jazzed by this gaming tie-in to what is already an exciting series of products.

Best regards,
Allan B.