 Games / 258
257  |  259
Subject:
"X-pod Play Off" Review
Newsgroups:
lugnet.games
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 18:52:50 GMT

Many of you may have seen the new sets called “x-pods” from the desginer/creator Theme. All who don’t, take a closer look on the official homepage. There you can also find&download the free rules + boards for the game.

The game is called “X-Pod Play Off” and is played totally offline. something (nearly) new for Lego. After reading through the rules, it had to get some of those pods. The packs were so cheap (5Euro or 3$), that I dared to do it. if

I don’t want to describe the whole game in this review, thats something you can do by yourself. Instead of that I offer you my experiences with that game, which I have been playing daily for a week now.

Ganeral game experience:

Everyone who loves strategy games, will love this game. The big plus is that there is no need of a dies or something else witch needs luck. The game can be compared to chess. The only difference is, that the rules for play-off are a little bit more complex. The rules are long, but easy to understand. It may be to tough for children younger than 8, because reading IS required. I don’t know all abilities of every level from every creature/plane/car or bot, so it is always the best if you READ them from the downloaded sheets. (that prevents cheating...) After the first game I was really impressed by the game-depth and all those strategies. A turn can take several minutes, like it is at chess. A usual game lasts 15-60 minutes, it depends on the skill of the players. At least it is not required to buy those sets, is you have the necessary parts.. but I think that 5€ can be spent, thats less than a drink in a discotheque, so its worth the money.

Bugs I found:
  • are less parts than needed (2xNr.14 (#44302) & 1xNr.15 (44567)) in the wild-pod. (take a look @ peeron.com !)
  • “Yellow flyer” Lvl1 has an ability called “brick”. I think that they ment “none”.
  • third starting-option of the Auto-pod contains a model called “Roller”. I am sure that they ment the “Rollabout”
  • second starting-option of the Robo-pod allows only a Lvl1 Fixit-I don’t know if this was intended...
Hints/Tricks:
  • pod may open accidently in a bag. To prevent that use a tecnic axle #6, which is put through the axleholes. That keeps them closed under many conditions.
  • board with the size A4(European) or letter (USA) can be too small for a crab or other giants. Create your own boards with moveable obstacles, to create new boards for every match!
Thoughts:
  • may be cool to create own teams. For that, it is necessary to create a “key” or a sheet with rules to create them. I have tried to find one with the 4 pods, but i havn’t found it yet. Is there anyone who is able to find an adequate system?
  • game is a must for Lego-events/gatherings. It would be really cool if there are real turnaments or something like that... 8)
If you have a different oppinion or even criticism, let us all know...