 Fun / Holiday / 126
Re: Pictures of My Halloween Display at Zany Brainy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun.holiday
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 13:44:36 GMT

In lugnet.fun.holiday, Greg Perry writes:
In lugnet.fun.holiday, Eric Sophie writes:
Hey cool, that's great. I might do the same at the local one over by me.
Good set up.

Legomaster

Thanks Eric.  Having read about your success in getting your work displayed
at local shops in your area is partly what motivated me to strike out on my
own (as opposed to doing a group RichLUG display).

I'd encourage others who are interested in showing off their Lego creations
in public but might not have a local LUG as a support group, to not be
hesitant about the idea of a solo display.  It's just a matter of getting up
the gumption to approach folks in their stores and pitch the idea of you
doing something that is beneficial and enjoyable for everyone involved.

I have a similar relationship with a local Toys'R'Us.  I've appeared there a
half dozen times or so over the last couple of years.  I ended up getting
the gig because I was buying a pile of the 3033 bulk tubs for my sculptures
and one of the store employees (who was in charge of doing in-store
promotions) saw me, and the rest is history.

For those interested in this sort of thing, TRU is great because they run
frequent Lego promotions.  It's really easy to convince someone to let you
set up a display when they're already dealing with Lego that way.

The plus is that since I've got such a good relationship with them, they pay
me for my services in lego :)

One tip I'd pass along - take pictures of your stuff with you.  I used
pictures from the Fall RichLUG train show to bedazzle them before making my
pitch of a scaled down solo display.

That's good advice.  I've actually been thinking about making a binder that
catalogs all the creations I have, but since there's over 100, it would be a
little time consuming :)

Remember, most "civilians" aren't used to really intricate detailed Lego
creations as is the norm here in our Lugnet community so its usually very
easy to impress them.

That's very true.  The muggles are amazed by what us AFOLs can do.

Adrian
--
www.brickfrenzy.com