 FAQ / 702
Re: Browser Add-On to View DAT Files...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 16:47:22 GMT

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999 23:59:55 GMT, "Steven Broughton"
<stevenkb@email.unc.edu> wrote:

However, I guess that means I'm doing something else wrong.  When I click on
the [DAT] link that (I presume) should be a link to the DAT file, I am told
that I am downloading ldraw.cgi.  I thought DAT files should end in .dat.  I
downloaded one file and attempted to rename it, and part of it worked, but I
got several error messages about not being able to find certain files.  Just
for reference, the DAT file I am testing is the Metroliner.  I found it at
http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dat/models/sets/?n=48.  I believe this might be a
multi-part file, so does that mean I need to manually break it up.  I must
admit that I am a new user to all these Ldraw programs, and will be reviewing
the online help to see if it's anything I'm doing wrong.

Like Larry said, start with non-MPD parts.  LDLite doesn't always render
MPD files correctly, so avoid them until you know everything else works.

If you are using Internet Explorer, you can set things up pretty easily.
First, open Windows Explorer (or just open a folder's window).  From the
View menu, select Folder Options.  Then click the File Types tab.

Locate and select the "ldlite Document" entry in the Registered file types
list.  Then click Edit.

In the Edit dialog, type 'application/x-ldraw' (skip the quotes) in the
Content Type (MIME) field.  Click OK, and then click OK on the Folder
Options.

That's it.  A bit of dialog navigating, and typing one entry in a window.

BTW, I have no idea what effect (if any) this might have on browsers other
than MS-IE.

Steve