 FAQ / 1287
Re: Why LEGO changed name from LEGOLAND to LEGOSYSTEM?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:38:37 GMT

In lugnet.faq, Cary Clark writes:

I've always assumed that the marketing department occasionally feels the
brandname is stale or misrepresntative of the product, and changes it to
liven things up. I can see some people confusing LEGOLAND the product brand
with LEGOLAND the theme park, for instance.

As LEGO branched out to appeal to more age groups, it needed a way to
distinguish DUPLO from the classic building blocks. The name game continues.
Within the last 10 years, buckets of basic building blocks have gone under
the names 'FreeStyle', 'Basic', 'Classic' and now 'Creator'. And DUPLO has
been renamed 'Explore'.

But what do I know?

And before Basic there were 'Universal' sets.

...I always assumed the change from Legoland to System was to distinguish
sets from their themeparks, which have grown in number since the days when
the minifigure sets used that moniker.  It might also be not just for
distinguishing, but also to preserve the trademark as their name for
themeparks.  These days, if they released a set with the label Legoland, we
might expect it to be a model of something at the parks, or perhaps a set
only available at the parks, or some such thing.

From an AFOL POV, I think it was good that they changed the naming of the
themes because the instinct of builders (including myself back then) was to
name one's Town, Castle village, or Space colony "Legoland", and as a result
there are a lot of current AFOLs who refer to their fantasy world as
Legoland, and one must ask how it is that there could be so many nations
with the same name.  Using 'System' encourages the builder to be creative
and develop their own world, nation, and city names (as I have since done).

...On the other hand, the name change was arguably the beginning of other
changes in those themes, which resulted ultimately in their demise.  From
some POVs, that wasn't so good.

My 2 bricks,
-Hendo