 Events / NWBrickCon / 186
Re: NWBC 2003 Post Mortem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 20:27:30 GMT

In lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, Mark Neumann wrote:
     This year we had an outstanding event.  I'm happy to report this post
mortem message should be substantially shorter than last years due to fewer
issues.

This was my first time attending NWBC. I've attended BrickWest once also. As an
attendee, the one major feedback item I have is "why did I pay the extra $20?" I
feel like I should have just brought my MOCs for display and stand around for
free instead of paying to do that. The shirt is cool, as well as the name badge,
but that was the only unique thing offered to attendees. In my opinion, the
public got the way-better deal.

I'm feeling the best solution would have been for the truck
tour to have been in the courtyard just outside the Snoqualmie room with
NWBrickCon was at the same time.  That may have worked.  We won't know.

It is hard to say what the effect would be if the Lego truck was here at the
same time as the con. Maybe having the truck a couple months earlier would be
enough to fuel the excitement?

     Easier registration will happen.  A paypal account is already in place, we
just need to form a mechanism for it.

Way cool.

Next year, I would like to see more unique items for attendees. BrickWest was
great in that there were two distinct areas -- public and non-public (paying
attendees). Things that BW had that I thought were cool:
* private MOC sales
* private brick trading
* private sessions (e.g.: building Mechs)

I think we just have to ask for next time: what are we offering that is worth
$20?
Also, figure out if we really need this extra category. Maybe the ~2 dollar
public entry fee is all that is necessary. People can purchase t-shirts at the
event if they want. We pay AFOLs to watch a MOC table - the payment is a cool
name badge (could be more, but the badge would be a great start.)

-mark
(This is just constructive feedback. I did have a great time: talking to the
public, and seeing other MOCs!)