 Events / NWBrickCon / 185
Re: NWBC 2003 Post Mortem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 16:35:06 GMT

In lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, Mark Sandlin wrote:
   In lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, Mark Neumann wrote:
   I have an interesting offer to re-locate the event to Dan
Parker’s Lego model shop in Federal Way. (a city south of
Seattle)

Cons
*not IN the city of Seattle
*really far from my home, I’d be staying in a hotel for the
event. (selfish reason I’ll admit)

I consider these to be two really large cons against having
it in the SeaTac Mall. Seattle Center, while expensive, is
centrally located and out of towners will enjoy seeing the
Space Needle and some of the local attractions.

While the financial advantages of having it at the SeaTac
Mall are nice, it’s not a very good venue. It’s not a
particularly nice mall. It’s also in Kent, which is not
centrally located in any sense of the word. It would be
convenient for 3-4 SEALUG members who live nearby, and very
inconvenient for everyone else. There’s not much to see or
do nearby, as it’s located in suburbia.

Free shouldn’t be underestimated- and the location this year
provided a nice surrounding but very little foot traffic. I
think we’d be likely to actually get more traffic inside
any mall than what we got this year. If we simply can’t
get/afford a useable space inside the Center House itself,
then I think we should seriously consider a mall-type venue.

Admittedly, Kent is pretty darn far south. What would you
think of a spot in, say, the Factoria or Bellevue mall? Not
that anything like that is in the works, but it might be
worth pursuing. Those are more central than Kent, and are
right off the major East-West connectors. But they are
still in Suburban Heck.

   I think it would also hurt us because we have built up a
small reputation for having our event at the Seattle Center.
There are people who remember us from last year, and I think
there will be more who expect us to be there next year. If
need be, maybe we have to raise our admission to $2.50 or
$3.00.
That is still a pretty reasonable price for an event with so
much to see and offer.

I think that raising the admission price would probably have
the opposite effect of what we want... unless perhaps we’re
actually inside the Center House.

I don’t know what the local “reputation” is really worth-
did you see the admission numbers?

   Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com