 Events / NWBrickCon / 179
178  |  180
Subject:
NWBC 2003 Post Mortem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 23:43:31 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

     This year we had an outstanding event.  I'm happy to report this post
mortem message should be substantially shorter than last years due to fewer
issues.

     The space was awesome.  One large room that perfectly accomidated what we
aimed to accomplish.  I heard a few comments that there was a desire that
classes be in a seperate room.

Congoer attendance was good at 54 people.
Public attendace was around 1150 people.

     Location, location, location.  Many found the room difficult to find.  Due
to the efforts to our crew, we made a special flyer (including a map) for Sunday
and had people post them everywhere Sunday morning.  Our Sunday flow was double
of Saturday.  Good Job guys!
     I am considering where NWBC 04 should be.  The Center is an ok location.
If we pay, we pay big $$ with little comprimise from the venue.  (zero parking
benefits, no quarter on any costs of equipment or supplies)  The Center is
inflexable in that way.  If we stay there costs will rise to cover overhead.  I
have an interesting offer to re-locate the event to Dan Parker's Lego model shop
in Federal Way.  (a city south of Seattle)

Here's the pro/cons:
Pros:
*Free venue
*Free and plentiful parking
*IF we pay for chairs and tables, costs are minimal
*Much easier for out of towners to locate (just off freeway, airport shuttles
may be available, need to confirm)
*Sq/footage is comprable to Snoqualmie room
*Square footage is divided into four different rooms that could be used for
displays, gaming, classes and relaxation room.
*Mall may provide other space for us to use (train layout and/or large items in
the mall proper?)
*available 24/7, no rushing for move in, move out.  Can be as late as you like.
Heck you never have to leave!
*Extra space in mall may be available  (in main thoughrowfare)
*Very public.  Very private after the mall closes.  (remember that classes can
be closed off in a seperate room during the day, if desired)

Cons:
*Slightly narrower room, may be difficult to utilize for display and walking
room
*I don't know how the mall would recieve vendors, may require seperate contracts
and rental agreements.
*Dan may not have the space next October.  (if NWBC puts a bid in it could help)
*not IN the city of Seattle
*really far from my home, I'd be staying in a hotel for the event. (selfish
reason I'll admit)

     The truck tour the previous weekend ultimately hurt us I believe.  First thing, the local media didn't want to publish each events individually, so lumped the announcements together, which confused the public.  Many at the truck show said, "isn't this NWBrickCon?"  Bad, bad sign.  Other publications got confused themselves and started publishing hours incorrectly, applying truck tour hours to our event.  Imagine what happened when we didn't let people in on Friday.   Spite our efforts at the truck show, handing out over 500 flyers and talking literally to everyone there, the confusion remained.
     Also brought up was some parents just did a Lego thing last weekend and
didn't feel like doing it again the next weekend.
     Would it had been better for the events to be at the same time?  Perhaps,
perhaps not.  Hard to say.  (Why should I pay to go in there when I can play out
here for free?)  I'm feeling the best solution would have been for the truck
tour to have been in the courtyard just outside the Snoqualmie room with
NWBrickCon was at the same time.  That may have worked.  We won't know.

     Economics.  It appears that we may have just broken even.  If not, we will
be short by a minimal amount, something like $100-$300.  I am awaiting bills
from the venue and other items.

     Easier registration will happen.  A paypal account is already in place, we
just need to form a mechanism for it.

     I was immensely pleased at how people turned out for the event.  You came
out in grand style.  I heard more than one say, "there's no way I'm missing
another NWBrickCon."  That made my heart sing.  It means to me that you had fun
and I did a good job.  Thanks once again for proving that NWBC is an event put
on by and for the fans of the brick.

Mark Neumann