 Events / BricksWest / 297
Re: BricksWest 2002 Sig-Fig Gathering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:52:34 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.events.brickswest, Matthew Gerber writes:
My idea is to get folks to bring their actual sig-figs together while they
get together. That's the challenge.

Hate to nitpick here, but I've been wrestling with this for a while now...
so I might as well.

By asking for "sig-figs" you sort-of meshed a term that has nothing to do
with people look-alikes, so that might have thrown people off track...

sig-fig = Signature minifig = your representative character in castle world.
As in:
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/org/?n=74

But I said that:

A sig-fig is a LEGO minifigure designed to: 1) look like you, 2) represent
you in some way, 3) be representative of you in a game or story, 4) be a
representation of a character you have designed for a game or story.

I also disclaimed my definition:

These are the instances of sig-figs I have run into...there may be more I am
not aware of.

At least, that is where the term came from - first coined by Craig Hamilton
as CW was being developed. I don't know how the term suddenly moved over to
general lego figs - not that I mind or anything - but just to LYK.

Sorry we gloamed a CW "thing"...but I think it's much more accepted now when
it spans the different uses, don't you? Look at when Amy asked for attendees
at her church dedication...that was a cool thing to do, and mainly where I
got the idea for the group photo at BW02. I can see where it might have
caused some confusion though, as you say.

Ah well...that's the nature of things...they evolve into new states of
being...I'm going to continue to call my representative figure a signature
figure, 'cause that's the best term I've heard for it...if CW folks want to
raise a stink (not that I think they would, mind you), lets come up with a
different name for the look-alike figs (ABS Clones? Mini-Me? LEGOme?)

Matt