 Events / BrickFest / 494
Re: Shell stuff, at Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 15:13:46 GMT

Later on I let Todd Thuma have it, because my cousin is taking care of the
Shell angle for me.

So... who found the signs?

-Erik

I really appreciated that Erik! I loved the set and it will work great with my
big town stuff.

I too stopped at several Shell Stations on the way down I-95 South of
Arlington. I was able to purchase the Tanker Truck at a station just outside of
Potomac Mills. At the Shell Station at the other Potomac Mills exit (further
south) I purchased the 6 smaller sets. I had the older 10 sets but not these
newer 6. I was also able to purchase one of the 8 signs they had there.

I asked the guy if he would take a fiver for it. He wasn't bitting until he
noticed my Brickfest T-shirt. I spoke with him briefly about the convention and
what I intended to do with the sign. Meanwhile I was taking a brand new crisp
$5.00 dollar bill (new script) out. He consented as he took the $5 but he
added, "take only one."

Later on down the road I wasn't having much luck. I realized that it seemed as
if only the larger, newer stations had the sets and then usually only the
smaller sets. Oh, and if they did not have signs out front, then they did not
have the sets. The older stations, the one with garages, did not typically have
the sets.

I am glad I kept stopping at the older stations though. A couple of exits
before Kings Dominion, I exited the highway and saw an older station on the
east side. I decided to stop because it had signs out front. When I stopped
they had the big cardboard display outside, which was unsual. I wasn't going to
go in but I decided to buy a soda. When I enter the small convenience part of
the store there they were. All of the larger sets sitting on the top of the
potato chip rack. I was able to purchase the gas station, the convenience
store, and the race car carrier. They had multiples of each set, but I only
bought one of each. I was so excited that I forgot to buy a soda, but
salivating over owning one of each set advertized quenched my thirst.

The moral to the story: "Don't count the little guy out." Check inside and ask
around. They also had the large Ferrari race car assembled and in the display
case that doubled as a counter. At the time they were not accepting offers for
the pre-assembled set.

I too added a couple of hours to my drive back to Georgia, where I arrived safe
and sound and worn out.

Todd