 Events / BrickFest / 3384
3383  |  3385
Subject:
Comprehensive BF photos (was: Re: Who built Solomon's Temple at Brickfest 2005?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:22:45 GMT

In lugnet.build.ancient, Brendan Powell Smith wrote:
   Brickfest seems to need an offical photographer who photographs every MOC and takes down the name of each builder. Oh, or maybe we could just increase the font size on the MOC cards tenfold. :)

As one of several BF’04 attendees who methodically took photos and deposited them with Todd Thuma for his BrickFest DVD (I myself tried to document everything in the Castle room, mostly from Minifig POV, and with a blue-sky backdrop -- thanks to everyone who helped carry it), I’ve considered how this might be implemented. (I keep forgetting to make suggestions to the BF organizers, though.)

Assign every MOC a number (an “accession number” to use museum terminology), which can be printed in a larger font on the MOC-card. (This also simplifies voting.) But not every MOC is pre-registered, so there’d need to be an on-site registration process for late arrivals; and not every exhibit photo includes the card.

Have an official photo-area (with lighting, blank backdrops, turntable) at which an official photo is taken of each MOC as it arrives. But this process would bog down during peak arrivals, for attendees with dozens of MOCs, or for oversized MOCs that necessarily are assembled in situ or have significant internal detail. (E.g. castles, giant spacecraft.)

Designate a roving photo team that documents each room, MOC-by-MOC, prefixing each MOC photo with a reference pic of its card.

IMHO, fabric backdrops are very important, to avoid cluttering each photo with classroom walls, nearby MOCs, or attendees. Those provide context (“Yes, my mech was exhibited at BrickFest”), but impede file-compression, and are messy.