 Events / BrickFest / 3224
Re: Build the Trust
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:34:48 GMT

For anyone interested in plans for building a Frank Lloyd Wright replica, or
just understanding the patterns at work in them, there is an excellent book.

William Storrer's Frank Lloyd Wright Companion has re-created floor plans and
photographs of 92% of all built Wright designs. (The Imperial Hotel is an
unfortunate exception.)

The plans are arranged in mostly chronological order, mixed with notes on the
patterns to be found in the designs. For example, the cruciform (cross-shaped)
floorplan in the Prairie style is introduced and illustrated early on. Then it
is followed up in the Usonian period with the breathtaking "pinwheel" pattern of
spaces, which gave birth to the L-shaped house on a regular square grid. (Where
possible, Storrer locates and draws in the fundamental square grid.)

The Robie house (1906) is thus understood as a type of pinwheel design, though
you would likely not come to that conclusion unless you had just read the
preceding material. The first Jacobs house is an L-shape, but in order to
appreciate it you need to know that one wing of the L is intended for public
rooms while the other is private.

The progression continues into non-rectangular grids, culminating in the plans
for the Guggenheim museum (which you could attempt to build!)

I like the second Jacobs house which uses a "solar cycle" -- the arc traced out
by the sun over a year --with the rays forming the basis of a coordinate system.

The notes in the book are not all about form. Some are about how Wright took
photographs, or how the illumination worked, or the techniques of using blocks
and other materials.