 Dear LEGO / 862
Re: Number one request for LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 13:32:43 GMT

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 01:35:41 GMT, "Mark Herzberg" <carorvan@aol.com>
wrote:

Great idea! However, my number one request would still be for the return of
classic Town sets. Also, I am wondering, is there any confirmation that LEGO
actually does just destory the molds when the piece goes out of production?

Molds wear out. It may be 10.000 to 100.000 or even a million copies
of a brick, but they do wear out. And once they're worn (which I
suspect is earlier in TLG than with other mfg companies), they're not
useful, and in fact, are nothing but a liability (ie, industrial
espionage).

I seriously doubt _working_ molds are destroyed.

But keeping just a few molds as opposed to the hundreds or thousands
they must've worn by now is a rather big cost-savings.

Jasper