 Dear LEGO / 3963
Re: Small Shop Horror Story (Trying to post to correct newsgroup)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 15:15:01 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Benjamin Medinets writes:

Sounds like the other situations regarding small shops.  The real problem
now adays, if I read correctly is BIG places like Toys R US and Walmart have
special status with Lego.  They get breaks, and LEGO caters to them (they
even redid their fulfillment centers to help them out).

If this is true, this is a serious problem.  Treating small shops like scum
cannot enhance LEGO's reputation.

[SNIP] but they also send you items from all their current lines.
So, as a matter of policy, whether or not you ordered Alpha Team, you'll
probably get it anyways, because its part of their "retail kit".

Um, I really think this was an "honest" mistake on the part of LEGO.  Someone
accidently packaged six copies of a set into the wrong box, and that mispacked
box was sent to us.  I don't think they were trying to foist off sets we don't
want on us.  And we wouldn't even mind it, if they were willing to fix the
mistake.

What really shocks me about the story, is that Lego expects smaller shops
to "eat" the cost of having obsolete inventory.

I admit, I was quite shocked by it too.

Personally, I would never want to be an "official reseller" because of the
many problems and really aweful policies LEGO has.

When I first read through the policies, I was a bit surprised by some of
them.

- For instance, you have to order a lot, far more than a shop like ours could
sell-through, to get backorders filled.  So if they are out of something that
you order, you have to reorder to get it.  Most companies are willing to do
backorders even with smaller retailers, just to get their product out there on
the shelves.

As surprising as the policies were, though, pretty much all of them made sense
from a business standpoint, and the owner of our shop did not object to them.
We can work around them.

But LEGO refusing to fix a mistake THEY made?  That's an entirely different
kettle of fish.

-Laura Gjovaag