 Dear LEGO / 3957
3956  |  3958
Subject:
Small Shop Horror Story (Trying to post to correct newsgroup)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 18:17:06 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi all.

As some of you know, I recently went to work for a small educational toy shop
in North Seattle.  I actually found the job thanks to LEGO!  The owner was
considering starting to carry LEGO, and was at a SeaLUG meeting.

Well, it took quite some time, but we eventually got our order in.  Ordering
was, in itself, a fairly painless process.  Mostly because the owner wanted to
start out with a bang, so we ordered A LOT (for a small store).

The order arrived... mostly complete.  However, there was one box that was
labelled 4702 but inside were 4792.  We didn't order any Alpha Team, nor do we
believe it will sell well in our shop.

The receiving clerk called LEGO.  The normal process when a company sends you
the wrong thing is that they send you the correct item and you either send them
the mistake back (if you can't sell it/don't want it) or they add the cost of
the new item to your invoice and you keep it while also getting the correct
item.

We deal with literally hundreds of vendors.  They ALL have this as a policy.

But not LEGO.  No, apparently it's OUR fault for receiving the wrong items in a
mismarked box.  So if we want the correct item we will have to reorder it and
pay for the shipping ourselves.  As for the unwanted item, well, they will
credit us for the difference in price - but WE have to write them a LETTER to
explain the problem and why we deserve credit.  They refused to even discuss us
returning it.

Not so oddly enough, the owner of the shop is royally peeved at LEGO.  The
shipping clerk, who used to like LEGO, has sworn she will never buy or even
touch another piece of LEGO.  Chances are very good we will never order from
them again.

So now I'm in a bit of a quandry.  I want the shop to carry LEGO.  But if they
aren't even going to do the absolute basics for a vendor, there is no way it'll
happen.

Any ideas, folks?  Anyone know who I should call to discuss this?  This mistake
MUST be fixed.  I want to know who to talk to in order to get it fixed.  If I
have to talk with the president of LEGO USA I will.  It may be a small mistake,
but it's evidence of extremely irresponsible and, frankly, stupid business
practices.

Any business that refuses to fix its own mistakes is not a business worth
dealing with.  I'd hate to stop buying LEGO new, but if this is how they treat
small shops, perhaps I'll find another hobby to spend my money on.

-Laura Gjovaag
tegan@eskimo.com