 Dear LEGO / 3909
Re: Dear Lego, if you must license, how about the Dragonriders of Pern
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 02:45:22 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote in message ...
In lugnet.dear-lego, Kevin Wilson writes:
I think the Pern series would make a great Lego theme, and many
of the parts already exist. You already have dragons (although they
are a bit small for the Pernese dragons compared to the size of
minifigs) and many people would welcome them in more colors
(mmmm, gold and bronze dragons!), while the new parts required
would be useful in other themes (musical instruments, for example).

"a bit small"?  That's an understatement! :)

LOL

The lego dragon size would work for Ruth, maybe, but you're right that the
other Pernese dragons would all be too big, except maybe the very first few
generations.

I think Pern would work better as a MOC theme (and it's way more likely to
happen).  The dragons are big enough that they should be built out of
bricks, which we can already do.

I'd agree, except for colors. Green, blue and brown are fine... maybe yellow
could stand in for gold... but I don't know about bronze.

The dwellings and equipment are mostly
straight medieval town stuff.  The sailing ships can be made from Pirates
parts.  We've got the dolphins.  The beasts-of-burden (and watch-whers)
might be a challenge, maybe they could be made from the Dinosaurs parts?
The one-piece pterodactyls from Adventurers could serve as fire lizards
(though they aren't available in enough colors).

And they are too big, if we're going to be picky about size :-) They are
supposed to be able to perch on people's shuolders!

What sets would you like to see in this "theme"?

The obvious "location" ones are a Weyr (lots of BURP potential!), Hold
(yummy grey castle parts and big doors and shutters) and Craft Hall (ditto,
with windows and doors), and maybe a harbour, and one of the spaceships -
bridge of the Yokohama maybe

"Event" sets... A hatching... Fax and F'lar's duel at Ruatha... threadfall
(wings of dragons, ground crews etc)... a Gather with stalls, harpers,
etc...  discovery of Aivas... placing the spaceship engines on the Red Star

People.... I started naming but realised there are far too many :-)  Pick
your favorites!

This would be very cool to do as a joint effort, with different people
making models and all contributing to a joint Brickshelf folder!

This also no longer belongs in dear-lego, but I have no idea where to put it
really. FUT build.ancient for want of a better idea!

Kevin
NEW shopping mall kit, 1328 pieces!
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-mall.htm
TOWN Lego Building contest results: