 Dear LEGO / 3551
Re: TLC declares Bankruptcy!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 23:56:23 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
If you're that disappointed with TLC then why not sell your stuff and find a
new hobby?

I don't like to speak for anyone else, so let me answer your question from
my own perspective.

Many of my recent posts have been similar in their critical nature, though
more subdued in their tone.  And the reason is simple.  I am sick and tired
of seeing what the LEGO company is doing to itself.  For every great product
they are putting out (and there are some) there are a dozen things that
could have just as easily been dropped at the preliminary sketch stage.
They are clearly struggling to find a path for their products.  Perhaps, by
whining and complaining about what I think is wrong, I can potentially sway
them in a better direction.

I personally have made a committment to continue whining and complaining
until things get better.

I absolutely LOVE LEGO bricks.  And I don't want another hobby; I'm quite
satisfied with this one. What I want is for the company who holds exclusive
hold over my hobby to take itself seriously.  I fear that if they don't they
may be bankrupt within 5 to 7 years.  I post out of desparation... hoping
they will see the light before it's too late.

1.  TLC doesn't release bricks for which they ACTUALLY have the molds in
readiness:
But they do still release bricks, and they've realised their error of
judgement with Znap.

Rock Raiders, Cyberslams, Jack Stone.  They haven't learned a thing.

2. TLC doesn't make bricks they way they used to (and they should, of
course):
That's right. They're more durable now, and in more colours than ever.

3. TLC manufactures toy lines that are not a part of system:
True. Thank TLC for Mindstorms, the CDROM's....

CD-ROM's are for software companies.  Let Microsoft produce CD-ROM's.  What
I want from the LEGO company are sets with plastic bricks in them.

4.  TLC never delivered on the promise of "system", or "system within
system."
They have, and they've overdone it: town, space, blacktron, rockraiders,
adventurers.... the list goes on...

You're absolutely right, they've way overdone it.  We need about 6 - 10
decent series/themes... not the more than 20 they are carrying right now.

5.  TLC doesn't really listen to us anyway.
Yes, they do. See Legends and Bulk.

No they don't.  Look at their current catalog.  It's a mess.  No sensible
business person would have allowed that to be mailed out.

I have warned you before TLC -- only you can stop the horror!
No, you can stop your own horror. Nobody's twisting your arm to stick with
Lego.

They've got us hooked.  They just need to reel us in.  This isn't rocket
science, it's common business sense.

I'm not saying I appreciate everything that TLC produces. Personally I
couldn't care less if they cancelled the whole pirate/castle/adventure/etc.
theme. Give me Technic(including Mindstorms) and Model Team and I'm happy.
But who cares about my personal wishlist? Lego will have to produce for the
masses.

Aren't you part of the masses?  I know I am.  Our personal wishlists matter
very much.

With all this I want to say three things:
* Tell TLC what you would like to see and why, and do so in a polite way.

I agree wholeheartedly.

* Make realistic requests.

I agree wholeheartedly.

* If you don't like where Lego is going and you feel things are not gonna
change your way please lock yourself in a room with all the
things-used-to-be-better-parts you have and enjoy them, and stop annoying
the rest of us with pointless rants.

I disagree.  I want more and better sets.  Why shouldn't I tell them what I
want?  I've got money.  I'm not asking for anything for free.  I'm willing
to help pay the salaries of their employees for them, if they will just
produce something worthwhile.

Duq, who's getting tired of this kind of ranting....

Then don't bother reading such rants.  And don't bother replying to them.
You might want to stop reading most things that I post, because they are on
the same topic.

Best regards,
Allan B.