 Dear LEGO / 3458
Re: How about advertising LEGO on cars?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 21:44:39 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Mark Sandlin writes:
Maggie Cambron wrote:

Yesterday I saw a Chrysler PT Cruiser with one of those advertisements that
are wrapped onto cars-- for Little Tykes toys.  Their logo was displayed in
large letters with a picture of their Cozy Coupe on one side and some other
large LT toy on the other, and the effect was charming!  It brought a smile
to my face at the end of a week during which there was not much to smile
about.

It occurred to me that I would love to see something like this advertising
LEGO.  Have you considered doing those car wrapper ads for LEGO on vehicles
like the PT Cruiser or newer Volkswagen Beetles?  I bet some AFOL's would
even offer to drive them around for free!

Maggie C. (AFOL and mom of 6- and 8-year-old boys who play with LEGO)

Hi Maggie.

It may have been someone who decorated their car for Autowraps.com. They
pay you to put that stuff on your car, but they generally seek out
newer, trendy cars like the PT or the Beetle.

http://www.autowraps.com/

Ah, yes, that could be it.  The car was very trendy looking and spotless and
appeared to be driven by a mom picking up her child from school-- she was
probably screened to weed out the possible circumstances Fredrik brought up.
And I see right away I wouldn't make the cut-- even if I bought one of those
cars (what a great excuse to buy yourself a new car!), I have to travel over
more than a half mile of gravel road to get to and from my house, so my car
generally has a layer of road dust on it.  :-(

BTW, Mel, I think it the ads are more encompassing than what you are thinking
about-- they wrap up the entire car and there is no other advertising on it--
it is entirely taken up by the one company.  And yeah, it probably sounds kind
of tacky, but really, the effect is great!  At least from my American
perspective.  :-)

Maggie